Moving Towards Maturity:
The Four Stages of Spiritual Development
In a world where the notion of faith swings between polarities—from fundamentalism to atheism, from deconstruction to reconstruction—what does it mean to be spiritually mature?
Moving Towards Maturity: The Four Stages of Spiritual Development is a new training, based around the work of M. Scott Peck, designed to illuminate the dynamics of spiritual growth and normalize the movement from rigid religion to holistic spirituality, empowering you to live out a more fully flourishing life and faith that helps change the world.
We will explore the dynamics in each of the four stages as outlined in Peck’s book The Different Drum: Community and Making Peace—chaotic, formal/boundaries, doubt/deconstruction, mystical/communion)—in order to understand what happens in each stage and, above all, how we can move to the maturity of stage four. This training will center around Christian faith and tradition, though people from all faith traditions are welcome.
This is also an experiential workshop, so even though there will be lectures and “content download” you will be nevertheless invited to participate beyond a merely intellectual level. We will engage a number of interactive exercises, such as large group sharing, small group sharing, and a corporate grief circle.
In this process, you will learn:
- How religion ends up undercutting spirituality and how to avoid this pitfall (rescuing true spirituality from the sin of certainty and the temptation “to be right”)
- How to normalize and navigate grief and letting go as part of the maturing process
- How to avoid the judgment trap (judging those in a different place than you) and live in humility
- How to deal with rigid religion and those who mistake your maturing process as “abandoning your faith”
- How our view(s) of God change—and are meant to change!—as we mature
- How to cultivate greater character and goodness
- The importance of marking and ritualizing change and transition
We would love to have you participate in this inaugural event! Register here, or to learn more, email us at [email protected]
Meet Our Team
Coach & Project Manager